Shipping to Amazon FBA (Fulfilment by Amazon) in the US and other marketplaces (Europe and Asia) can be a complex process due to the platform’s strict guidelines. However, it can also be an advantageous venture for sellers. In this article, we will provide an overview of how the shipping process works and highlight the importance of utilising the services of a forwarder.
It is crucial to adhere to Amazon’s preparation, packaging, labelling, and delivery guidelines to ensure a smooth shipping experience. These guidelines are designed to maintain the quality and consistency of products within the Amazon ecosystem. If you want to know more about how to ship to Amazon FBA, then continue reading this blog.
Steps to Follow
Once you have decided to utilise Amazon FBA for your shipping needs, there are several vital steps to follow.
- The first step is to create a shipping plan within your merchant account on Amazon. It involves providing details about the products you will be shipping, including the quantity, condition, and fulfilment centre to which you want them sent. Amazon provides a step-by-step guide to help you through the process.
- After creating the shipping plan, the next crucial step is selecting a reliable and experienced forwarder. Choosing a forwarder familiar with Amazon’s specific shipping requirements is essential. They should thoroughly understand packaging guidelines, labelling requirements, and the documentation for shipping to Amazon FBA centres. Compliance is key when shipping to Amazon fullfillment centres.
- Once you have chosen a forwarder, you can proceed with arranging the delivery of your products to the designated FBA warehouse in the USA. Your forwarder will handle the logistics, including organizing transportation, ensuring proper packaging, and coordinating delivery. Unicargo owns and operates strategic warehouses in the US. UK, India, China and Germany to facilitate the transition from the port to the warehouses and then to Amazon’s warehouses. We also own and operate our trucking company (in the U.S.) which enebales us to act quick and transport the goods more efficiently.
Make a Shipping Plan
When creating a shipping plan, specify the products you intend to send to Amazon warehouses. You can choose between selling “individual products” or “jointly packaged products.” If you opt for “individual items,” you will send packages containing one or more products with varying quantities and conditions.
On the other hand, selecting “case-packed products” implies that you are shipping products with the same SKU (unique product identifier). In this scenario, each shipment will have the same number of products.
After choosing the appropriate option, you should proceed with the following steps:
- Determine the quantity for each product you plan to ship.
- Prepare the products according to the guidelines provided, considering the specific requirements based on the product type.
- Print the necessary labels, including barcodes or other product identifiers required by Amazon. The physical size of label is crucial as well.
- Double-check and confirm the details of your package shipping to Amazon FBA in the USA to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Choose a suitable shipping method that aligns with your needs and budget. You may consider factors such as cost, speed, and reliability.
- Summarise the entire shipping process, and keep in mind that you can monitor the shipment’s progress as it is sent to Amazon FBA in the USA.
Role of Forwarder
Utilizing the services of a forwarder plays a significant role in the process of shipping to Amazon FBA. Transporting goods to Amazon can be a time-consuming and complex task, especially for those needing prior experience in freight forwarding. Therefore, finding a suitable forwarding company specializing in this type of shipment is highly recommended.
By partnering with a competent forwarder, such as the ShipHub platform mentioned, you can save valuable time and streamline the shipping process. These forwarders have the necessary expertise and knowledge to navigate the intricacies of shipping to Amazon FBA.
A reliable forwarder will coordinate each shipment stage, including organizing transportation, handling documentation and customs requirements, and ensuring compliance with Amazon’s shipping guidelines. They have experience working with Amazon FBA and understand the specific requirements for delivering goods to FBA centres.
Choosing a forwarder that is well-versed in FBA shipping can bring numerous benefits. They are familiar with Amazon’s procedures, packaging guidelines, labelling requirements, and other necessary details to deliver your products to the designated fulfilment centres successfully.
Ultimately, partnering with a reputable forwarder that understands the nuances of shipping to FBA can alleviate the stress and complexities associated with the process. It allows you to focus on your core business while entrusting the logistics and shipping aspects to professionals specializing in freight forwarding to Amazon FBA. Unicargo was one of the First freight & logistics companies that serviced clients shipping to Amazon and has the most experienced and knowledgeable teams working with Amazon FBA clients.
Tasks of a Freight Forwarder
The primary tasks of a freight forwarder when shipping to Amazon FBA warehouses include the following:
1. Checking the Goods for Damage: The products will be inspected by the forwarder to make sure they are in good shape and ready for shipping. It helps prevent any potential issues or damages during transportation.
2. Ensuring Packaging Compliance: The forwarder will verify that the goods are packaged according to Amazon’s requirements. It includes using appropriate packaging materials, labelling, and securing the products to prevent damage during transit.
3. Adhering to Labeling Rules: The forwarder will ensure the goods are properly labelled following Amazon’s labelling guidelines. It includes applying scannable barcodes or labels that comply with Amazon’s inventory tracking system.
4. Proper Palletizing: If necessary, the forwarder will correctly pack the goods on pallets, ensuring they are securely stacked and stable for transportation. It helps protect the goods during handling and prevents any potential damage.
5. Arranging Delivery Date: The forwarder will coordinate with the appropriate transportation service providers to schedule a delivery date that aligns with Amazon’s requirements and the seller’s preferences.6. Transporting Goods to the FBA Center or a 3pl: The forwarder will handle the logistics of transporting the goods from the origin point to the designated Amazon FBA order processing centre. It includes selecting the appropriate shipping method and ensuring timely delivery.
Once Amazon receives the shipment, they will assign the products to the appropriate FBA Center. Within three business days, the products should be available for sale on the Amazon platform.
As a seller, you can easily monitor and track the progress of your shipment through your Amazon merchant account. It allows you to stay updated on the status of your inventory and ensure that everything is progressing as expected. Amazon provides tools and features to help sellers understand how to ship to Amazon FBA and keep a close eye on their shipments, providing transparency and peace of mind throughout the process.
A trusted freight forwarder will also monitor the goods until they arrive to its final destination and will communicate properly, owning the entire customer journey!